Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Tapering

I've read several articles on tapering that caution triathletes to lower their caloric intake so as not to unintentionally gain weight during the period of reduced activity.  I've decided whatever author wrote those words could not possibly have been a triathlete themselves.  I'm sorry, but after months of 4-5 hour bike rides on the weekends, long runs, long swims, and any weight lifting I happen to squeeze in,  my body is HUNGRY... and it does not appreciate me telling it that it should not be so.  If triathlon has taught me anything, it has taught me the importance of listening to my body.  So - I'm listening.  To my body, not unidentified authors who tell me how I should feel.

Tapering is a mind exercise, I think.  I finish my workout in the morning and have extra time because the sessions are shorter... and I think, "I could get in some weights!"  And then I remember that tapering is about letting my body rest some.  Oh - yeah.  Guess not. 

I have mixed feelings about the upcoming race. On the one hand, I've been trying to do this race for two years.  Last year I got a stress fracture in my left hip just weeks out from the race, and ended up only being able to do the aquabike.  I'm back this year to try again.  I want to prove to myself that I CAN run 13.1 miles and not injure myself.  I want to accomplish what I set out to do 2 years ago.  And I want to take the next step towards doing a full ironman.  I've worked so hard this fall, and overcome so many obstacles - IT band problems in both knees and both hips, achilles tendonitis, and being sidelined for 2 weeks due to illness.  My mom always says "overcome your obstacles" - so I kept going, overcoming each obstacle.  This is about perseverance.

It's also about learning to accept myself and believe in myself.  Will I finally know I'm really an athlete when I cross the finish line?  Somehow, I think that's something that must come from within, not without.  But I do think completing this HIM will give me some confidence in myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment