Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Ironstar 2010 Race Report

I drove to Conroe on Saturday afternoon with girlfriend Susan, and my mom, in tow. We checked into the race site hotel, found the mini race expo, and then headed off for a carb dinner.  I think I was more excited about Sunday's race than I have been about anything else for a long time.  I loved seeing all the athletes come in with their decked out bikes and support-crew/ family.  I like the buzz of excitement, seeing the TA all set up for the next morning, and thinking about the fact that I'm going to be out on that race course tomorrow morning.


While getting ready for bed and putting together my race stuff for the following morning, I realized I had no spoon with which to eat my oatmeal.  Without blinking an eye, Susan picked up the phone, called the front desk, and asked if we could "please have a plastic spoon delivered to our room, right away."  Within minutes a girl from the front desk arrived with our spoon.  I sheepishly accepted the spoon and avoided her questioning gaze.  That, people, is the kind of support crew you want with you!


There was only one king size bed in the hotel room, and I'd brought my camping air mattress, intending to sleep on the floor.  However, I did not count on the fact that mom and girlfriend were not amenable to the idea of sleeping together, so I found myself in the bed with mom, while Susan toughed it out on the floor.  I think I got maybe 4 hours of sleep that night.  I was just too amped up.


Susanand I got up at 4:30am Sunday morning (mom slept in). Susan made my coffee and filled my water bottles while I got dressed and ate oatmeal.  (Again, take notes all you future support crews out there - Susan set the standard.)  We headed down to body marking, me ignoring the 37 degree chill in the air and trying to convince myself the water would feel warmer.


this pic shows the craziness of the swim start
After warm up run and stretch, we waited in the (warm!) hotel lobby for the race to start.  Mom joined us in time to see me off.  My wave entered the water at 7:20a.m., and boy, was that water COLD.  The website posted 76 degrees as the water temp., but I think it was more like 67.  The steam rising off the lake was so thick we couldn't see the next buoy.  I found myself stopping at each kayak and lifeguard to ask directions, and saw other swimmers doing the same.  The swim felt like it took forever, what with all the stopping and asking, but I later found out that I came out of the water in 34 minutes flat.  A PR!


I wasn't too cold running to the bike, so I ditched the jacket I'd planned on wearing and just grabbed my full fingered gloves instead.  The bike was a little cold with the wind, but what really bothered me was my legs were so cold I felt like I didn't have the normal climbing power I usually have on hills.  The course was all hills, with a few false flats.  As the miles ticked by, a headwind sprang up.  I kept thinking we'd turn around and head back to the TA and get a tailwind, but somehow that never happened.  I was aiming at less than 3 hours on the bike, but towards the second half of the bike leg I began to fatigue, and lost some speed.  Awesome Susan found me around mile 40, and holding up her monstrous sign shouted for me until I rounded the curve. 


I backed off a little on the last 16 miles, so as to have something left for the run.  I came back to the TA, changed into my running shoes, and took off again.  The run course was three loops, all within the resort there on Lake Conroe.  Half of the loop required running on uneven gravel and sand, and when your legs are already tired from swimming and biking, this was not a welcome challenge.  But the benefit was my cheering section set up camp along the route, and I got to see them several times while we ran our crazy loops. And I would be remiss if I did not mention Susan's crazy sign: "RUN JOCELYN RUN!!" 

I don't remember much else from the run, except that it was a haze of pain.  My right IT band started hurting (at the hip) around mile 3, and the pain intensified over the distance. I kept shifting my foot strike position to try and alleviate the pain, but nothing seemed to help.  Finally, I gave up and decided the final 13 miles were just going to hurt like hell, so I needed to suck it up and just do it. Once I made that decision, I just put my head down and ran. 

I crossed the finish line with a time of 5:46.  I was pretty happy with that, and even happier when I found out I placed fourth in my age group!  Breakdown was swim: 34 min., bike: 3:15, run: 2:08.  I don't broadcast this in person, but I'm going to add here that I was first out of the water for my age group. 

So placing fourth in my age group - what's the big deal?  I'm not a pro, I don't get any money or recognition for it.  It doesn't determine my future, or anything dramatic like that.  But in a way, it was so much more important.  So many times during training when I would miss a workout due to fatigue, or see someone who was slim and looked fit, I would feel like a poser.  Like someone who claims to be something they're not.  I think in some ways I still struggle to know, and like, who I am.  Much of this triathlon journey has been about me learning to listen to, and respect my body - a body that I spent years hating and trying to change.  So when I crossed the finish line and saw my results, I knew that I wasn't a poser.  I knew that my body had performed amazingly.  And most importantly, I knew more about who I am.  I am a triathlete.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, congrats on this. I hope to try my first tri soon. This swim looks intense! That is probably the biggest thing holding me back from a tri!

    ReplyDelete