Saturday, March 19, 2011

Lessons from an Injury...

So, the last time I posted I was headed for hip surgery.  Things took another turn, and instead I was told no exercise from the waist down and sent to six weeks of PT.  I'm now three and a half weeks into this recovery journey, and I can feel a huge improvement in my hip.  I still have residual soreness in the piriformis and low back that won't seem to go away.  Not sure what's going on with that. 

I am such a dork, but PT is one of the highlights of my week.  I get to do lower body exercises there that strengthen my glutes, quads, hamstrings, and hip flexors.  My PT has me do a 10 min. warm up on the stationary bike, so I've started taking my ipod and pretending like it's a mini spin class for me.  Pathetic, I know - but hey, I'll take what I can get.  ;)

The Hungry Runner Girl recently wrote a post about self worth, and how for athletes it's often tied to our ability to perform.  I could totally relate.  I was not aware how much my self worth was tied to my ability to do long bike rides, run and swim, and overall work towards higher levels of fitness. 
 
The first two weeks of no exercise were super tough.  I kept seeing the flowers blooming outside and the spring breezes blowing the trees, and I longed to be out on my bike experiencing it with my cycling friends!  And then there was the "now what do I do with all this extra time I have?" question. 

So after 24 days of resting, I've learned som lessons.  Lesson 1 - I've learned that when I'm depressed, the absolute best way to deal with it is to find ways to serve other people.  Not rocket science, I know - it was just something I have really lived and experienced these past couple of weeks. 

Lesson 2: I push too hard. I ride too hard, swim too hard (not run too hard because i haven't done that for several months), and don't rest enough.  I LOVE going anaerobic on workouts... but apparently one is not supposed to do that 5-6 days a week.  :p

Lesson 3 - I've experienced more of God's love and grace these past weeks.  I wish I leaned as heavily on Him when everything is great as I do when I'm hurting, but I'm not that spiritually mature yet.  

Lesson 4 - the ability to be active is a HUGE gift that I too often took for granted.  Having it taken away from me for a little while gives me a new appreciation.  I intend to give this more respect and gratitude in the future.

So, bottom line - until I can get back to being super active, there are many, many other ways to enjoy the time, to find meaning in life, and to invest in others.  "This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it."  Rejoice and be glad - ok, Lord, I'm ready!

2 comments: