Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Perspective

Yesterday, I complained.  I complained inside, I complained to God, and I complained to my best friend on the phone.  I was complaining about the fact that my hip still hurts when I run, about work, about being tired, and about being irritated with a myriad of minor inconveniences.

And then last night, I ended up sitting across from a woman who spoke little to no English.  She was attending English classes to help her learn the language.  In her broken English, with some help from the students around her, she told me she works 6-7 days a week, cutting hair.  She lives alone.  Her husband abandoned her two years ago, and she finally started coming to the English classes just to do something new and try to get away from her sadness.  Looking at her, she probably has no health insurance or savings. 

I went home thankful for my job, my health, and my friends and family.  And that I speak the language of the country in which I live.  Sometimes it's just a matter of perspective

2 comments:

  1. don't you love it when you get the message loud and clear?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i sometimes think no matter how bad or great things are, we can always find something to praise and will always have something we need. :)

    ReplyDelete